I ran across an article today: 9 Signs Your Guy is Cheating. Let’s go over them, shall we, and determine if I should have known, based on these signs, that The Pilot was cheating on me.
- Less Sex. Nope, we had a pretty wonderful sex life.
- Jumpy Cell Phone Habits. Did he get nervous when receiving calls or texts? Nope.
- Gushing or Talking about Someone Suddenly. Nope. In fact, when I asked him about the woman who turned out to be his girlfriend, he brushed it off, saying she was his cousin, and never mentioned her again.
- Disconnecting. He’s drawing away from you, not laughing or seeming as passionate as usual. Nope, no problems there.
- He’s Pulling “Houdinis.” Disappearing, traveling. Well, that’s a pretty obvious one.
- His Friends are Acting Strange. When I saw them, they seemed normal. However, I was friends with one of his friends on FB, and one day I noticed we were no longer friends. So….
- He’s Been Caught in Lies About Other Things. Nope.
- Been There, Done That. This is the whole, “once a cheater, always a cheater” thing. I don’t remember him saying he had cheated on a woman before. I do remember him talking about his ex cheating on him, and how much it tore him up. Of course, that was probably a lie, too.
- Your Gut Tells You So. Nope – I had no clue. Not even an inkling.
So, out of 9 signs, I can only count half of two: #5, because although he was traveling, that was his job, and #6.
Should I have known better? Should I have seen The Signs? Was I deluding myself?
I really feel sorry for his girlfriend, as I’m sure she’s forgiven him and they are still together. He is a very good liar, and he was able to get away with it for a very long time. Why wouldn’t he think he could do it again?